BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Green Fingers

Wow, what a super-lovely garden you have! But it does look like you need to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in to maintain it.

I remember when I went home for the summer holidays in August I had to help my parents mow the lawn and pull out the weeds from between the paving stones. The only trouble is that the weeds will soon grow back over the following few days and it's back to square one. I know how you and your sisters feel about wanting to run away at 'gardening time'...

Like in Cameroon, it rains a lot in the UK so there's usually not much need to water the garden (even in summer!). However, you do occasionally see people using sprinklers if there has been a dry spell for a few days.

As I mentioned previously, I don't really have green fingers but I do enjoy visiting beautiful gardens in the spring and summer. One such garden that is incredibly popular in the UK is at Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. Tomono has been there loads of times and absolutely loves it. She's always going on about how impressive the gardens are, and how beautiful they look in all the different seasons. She also loves the cream tea they serve in the cafe. Have you ever tried English cream tea?

Chatsworth House Garden
Chatworth House Garden 2
Chatsworth House Garden 3
Yesterday Tomono, Oscar and I went for a lovely walk along the Thames from Marlow to Bourne End. I love seeing all the activity on the river - the people fishing, the rowing club teams racing each other and the little sailing boats. There are also some really amazing houses on the other bank of the river too. It makes me think about how the other half live. I was so impressed that Oscar walked about half of the distance by himself. He only said "Daddy cuddle" a couple of times when he wanted to take a breather.
Thames Walk
When we got back to the car he really wanted to get behind the wheel and drive home. After a long discussion with him about the legalities of a 2 year old driving a motor vehicle he reluctantly left the driver's seat. :)
Oscar Behind the Wheel
Can you believe we are down to our last week blogging together? How time flies!
Anyway, time to grab some shut eye as I've a big day ahead of me tomorrow.
Best,
Lewis
Useful phrases:
(to) roll your sleeves up (and do something)
(to) get stuck in (to something)
(to go) back to square one
(to have) a dry spell
(to have) green fingers
(to) go on (about something)
how the other half live
(to grab) some shut eye
(to have) a big day ahead of you

0 comments: